Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New York State Of Mind

I am leaving for New York tomorrow morning! This will be my first time visiting the big apple, and I can't wait! The reason I am going is to present with my partner teacher at a conference in Brooklyn. I feel so honored to be such a young and slightly inexperienced teacher able to present at this big conference. I'm extremely intimidated, but I know it will be an excellent learning experience for me, and I can't wait!!! We will be giving a presentation about how to make change in your community. With this project our students identified a problem that they were passionate about helping/changing in Pasadena, and from there they came up with an achievable solution to their problem and created action steps in order to Take Action in Pasadena. This was a very rewarding experience to have with the students, and it was so inspiring to see them takle such big issues within their home town. I am excited to give this presentation, and I hope that people attending will go back to their schools with a plan in mind about how to re-create this project with their students and within their communities. 

After the conference is over (Friday) I will be spending an extra day in New York to site see :) Like I said, I have never been there before, so I am excited to do all the cliche touristy things. Among all the things to do, these are the ones I am MOST excited for: 
  • Go for a run in Central Park
  • See a broadway play (I will be seeing Motown)
  • Take the (free) ferry to Ellis Island and see the Statue of Liberty
  • Visit the new Freedom Tower, and the new museum that goes along with it
  • Go to the Museum of Natural History 
  • See Times Square (maybe) 


If any of my readers has ANY suggestions for other (relatively cheap) fun activities I should partake in while in NYC please feel free to contact me using: comments, email, facebook, or twitter.  

After I return from New York my posts will consist of me putting my classroom together, and planning for next year. 

TTFN... Ta Ta For Now!



No comments:

Post a Comment