Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dr. Seuss Mural Complete!!!

For the past few weeks a friend and I (but mostly him) have been working on a Dr. Seuss mural in my classroom. At my school we have what we call the Guiding Principles. Pretty much our mantra and way of being. These principles guide our instruction, our interactions with each other and our students. When contemplating how I was going to post these in my room a thought came to my mind. This would be so much more earth friendly, and easier, if I could just paint them on the wall instead of making all these crazy posters. From there I contacted a good friend of mine Billy, and we got to talking about how we could make this a reality. The conclusion we came up with was to paint a Dr. Seuss theme, and embed the guiding principles in the scene. We have finished the scene, and the next step will be to add the guiding principles. Take a look at our journey! 
First we had to paint over the yellow. I chose a calm purple.

Yellow is almost gone, I feel calmer already!

No more yellow!

Beginning stages of The Lorax

Almost finished!
The Lorax COMPLETE!

Adding Truffula Trees.

Painting Truffula Trees and adding Horton.

Continuing to paint Truffula Trees.

Finishing Horton, and adding grass.



The finished product.

I added fun lamps and Dr. Seuss books to the equation.

I am SO happy with the way this turned out! The characters and the trees look GREAT!!! This adds so much character to my classroom, and I know the students will LOVE it! I feel so incredibly lucky to have had the help I did with this project. Not only did Billy pretty much paint this entire thing, but his wife Charlene helped. When we were finished painting Charlene helped me rearrange my classroom to fit my needs. We were really able to capture EXACTLY what I wanted out of my space, and I couldn't be happier! Billy and Charlene, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I am in love with my classroom, and I owe it all to the both of you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment